Caramel Apple Cheesecake bars
Fall delicioiusness on a plate is what this is.
An original Paula Dean recipe, it’s worth the effort.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Streusel topping, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
In a medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Press evenly into a 9×13 baking pan lined with foil.
Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
Bake 15 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 c. sugar in an electric mixer.
Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Pour over the warm crust.
In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.
Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping.
Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
Yield: approximately 3 cups
My favorite caramel recipe:
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 1/2 c. cream
4 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until it boils. Continue cooking until it reaches 248 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Store in a canning jar in the refrigerator and re-heat to soften.