White Bean and Chicken Chili
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ⅓ cups chopped onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ¼ lbs. skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 15- to 16-ounce cans white beans, drained, juices reserved
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until chicken is no longer pink outside, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder, tomato paste, cumin, and oregano. Add beans, 1 cup reserved bean juices, and canned tomatoes.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through and chili is thickened, about 25 minutes. If chili is too thick, add more bean juices by tablespoonfuls to thin. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in cilantro and serve.